In the pre shot clock era, the games were frustratingly slow paced and low scoring. Because of the fact that a team who got lead in the game, waste the whole remaining time in grabbing and holding the ball instead of attempting the field goals.
The early days of NBA, from 1946 to 1954, were infamous for the low scoring games. The lowest of them all was played on November 22, 1950, between the Fort Wayne Pistons and Minneapolis Lakers where Pistons defeated the Lakers by 19-18.
In 1954-55 season, the 24 second shot clock was introduced to increase the pace of the game and to avoid low scoring contests. According to the rule, if a field goal is not attempted by a team within the duration of 24 seconds, then it will be assumed a violation and the possession will be awarded to the other team.
If we talk about the lowest scoring games after the adoption of shot clock, then here is a list of those games.
1. Boston Celtics vs. Milwakee Hawks (119 points)
The record for the fewest points scored in a game since the inception of shot clock was set on Feb. 27, 1955 when Bosten Celtics and Milwaukee Hawks combined for 119, 62 and 57 points respectively.
2. Miami Heat vs. Philadelphia 76ers (123 points)
Heat and Sixers played a game on Feb. 21, 1996 where Heat put up 66-57 win over Sixers. Both teams scored a total of 123 points that turned out to be the second lowest scoring game in league history.
3. Boston Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons (130 points)
It was the lowest scoring game in the NBA playoffs since the shot clock was introduced. The game took place on May 10, 2002 and ended on the victory of Boston celtics with 66-64.
4. Chicago Bulls vs. Miami Heat (131 points)
On April 10, 1999, Bulls and Heat ended up a game with 49 and 82 points respectively. The score of 49 by Bulls is the lowest by one team in an NBA game.
5. Detroit Pistons vs. New York Knicks (133 points)
A combine total of 133 points, makes this game the fifth lowest scoring NBA game. The game was held at Auburn Hills on April 12, 1992. In the game, Knicks made 23 of 75 shots while Pistons made 30 of 79 shots and won the game72-61.
6. Vancouver Grizzlies vs. Miami Heat (134 points)
On Jan. 13 1992, Vacouver played a game against Miami Heat where both teams scored a total of 134 points. It was one of the lowest scoring games in the league’s history.
7. Fort Wayne Pistons vs. Syracuse Nationals (135)
Fort Wayne defeated Syracuse, 69-66, on January 25, 1955, in the first year of the 24 second shot clock.
- 5 NBA Players who are Expected to Explode in 2013 All-Star Game
- Relocated NBA Teams
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- 2011-12 NBA Regular Season- Scores and Results
- List of NBA Players who were Arrested for Possession of Drugs
- NBA Champions: Complete Year by Year Results
- Teams with Longest Winning Streaks in NBA History
- Top Selling NBA Jerseys (2001-2013)
- NBA: Most Career Turnovers
- 10,000+ Career Assists: A Look at the Members of this Elite Club
Comments are closed.